So, I decided to combine two mexican recipes I found and make my own twist for dinner! The recipe is at the bottom of this post. Forewarning, not the most healthy dish, but probably one of the yummiest!
So above are all my ingredients, except for sour cream, which was still in the fridge at this time. Pre cooked chicken from Safeway, basically what you’d pull off a rotisserie chicken (you can always cook your own chicken breasts, I just always want to save time, save with beans)
So this is our chicken, we got it from Safeway, little less then a pound, but it worked perfectly, to save the cooking chicken step when I’m getting home from work, and I’m tired! Just sprinkled a little taco seasoning and onion powder over it. It’s just one of the short cuts we used, like pre cooked, pre seasoned beans, fake mexican rice (rice, onion powder, taco seasoning) but they turned out amazing 🙂
And lastly, some pictures of them in the oven, and then once they were done! 🙂
We loved them, and had leftovers for a whole week! 🙂 The mixture is also good as a quesadilla filling, or a nacho topping if you’re not in the mood for rolling, or a dip, if you’re having a party! 🙂
Cheesy Chicken Encharitos
- 1 Can Progresso 3 Cheese Cooking Sauce (Soup section)
- 1 – ½ can of Black Beans (I chose pre-cooked and preseasoned for 65cents)
- 1 bag of Mexican Shredded Cheese Blend
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning (or fajita or similar seasonings)
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 Small Container of Sour Cream (You only use two big spoonfuls)
- 1 ½ cup of Rice (brown or white, though cooking time will change for brown)
- 1 lb of chicken (Can use pre cooked stripes, pull from a pre cooked chicken, or cook your own and shred)
- 1 package of burrito flour tortillas
- Salsa on side
- (optional, tomato puree or sauce to make real Spanish rice, but my cheat tasted pretty good)
- First make sure you have all your ingredients.
- In a deep fry pan, or soup pot, pour in ¾ of the can of cooking sauce. Place over heat.
- Sprinkle a little taco seasoning in remaining 1/3 of sauce for later use.
- Once the liquid is warmed up, stir in 2 big spoonfuls of sour cream (can add more to taste).
- Drain most of liquid from can of black beans, and pour ½ of the can into the sour cream and sauce mixtures.
- In separate fry pan, cook 1 green pepper chopped (if you don’t like a complete raw crunch)
- Once pepper is cooked, stir into sour cream mixture.
- Stir 1/3 of taco packet into soup (This is also to taste; you can do more or less).
- Shred your chicken; stir shredded chicken into the mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a boil for about 2-4 minutes to help thicken the sauce mixture.
- Cook 1 ½ cups of rice according to box (I made mine in microwave, again you can have more rice too, if you like a lot of rice, this was a pretty good portion)
- Once rice is cooked, stir in 1/3 packet of taco seasoning (again to taste!)
- Once sauce boils, lower heat and stir in some Mexican blend cheese, about 1/4 of the package.
- Stir for about a minute.
- Pre heat oven to about 225
- Now, lay out a space to roll burritos.
- How I did mine, layered rice, and then sauce mixture, and sprinkled a little more cheese on each one, and rolled.
- Place your rolled burritos into a square baking pan (I lined mine with tinfoil to make it easier)
- Once you rolled all your burritos (This would make about 6 maybe 7, depending on filling level)
- Pour the remaining 1/3 of cooking sauce with taco seasoning in it over top of all the burritos.
- Sprinkle the remaining amount of Mexican blend cheese over top of the burritos.
- Place in oven for about 5-10 minutes (Depends how hot your oven runs, we used our little bread oven, as our oven is split in two, and that was fine, a bigger over might take 12 minutes to make everything hot and melty)
- Pull from over once it’s melty to your satisfaction (everything is pre-cooked so this step just makes it all hot and melty)
- Let sit for 2 minutes.
- Then Eat!